Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fight the Power

Sorry for the absence but things have been crazy but I can tell you that I am feeling empowered right now!A few of you know that I've been fighting with my son's school to get him the help that he needs. He struggles in a large environment(there's 36 kids in his regular class) because he feels intimidated and does better in smaller groups. I KNOW this he's MY son, but try explaining that to a woman who has a piece of paper that says that she's psychologist (not dissing college or drs, teachers etc, just this woman in particular). She says things like "it's good that you're noticing now that he needs help" um NO. I had my son in a school approved afterschool program that was supposed to help with homework, but he spent more time playing. I asked my son's teacher for extra credit work; she agreed and I got nothing. What I did get was a folder(which was supposed to be a weekly folder) once a month with a bunch of Fs in it and when I tried to go over some of it - the class was already past it - so how the heck was I supposed to help him understand it if they were on to something else? I'm so sick of drs, teachers, etc that think because they have the degree, they have all the power. I know my son better than anyone else in the world; no amount of schooling, no seeing a 1000 kids a year, no amount of work period could change that. I'm happy to report that the mama bear in me came out and I fought for my son; so much so that they're almost kissing my ass at school because they know that I would not have a problem calling the newly elected mayor or his new CEO of schools - which I'm still going to end up doing because these people shouldn't even be allowed to work with animals let alone shape our childrens' minds - they're more worried about their salary. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that YOU know your child, YOU know what they need - don't let ANYONE tell you any different. Needless to say that since getting into a special education program my son is now starting to do better and actually enjoy school rather than dread it. It's a wonderful feeling to see your child finally shine when you knew all along that all they needed was a bit of polishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment