Friday, January 20, 2012

Finding the right one for you

Sitting in the drs office the other day I was nervous as hell - I have ALWAYS hated going to the dr; 90% of the time because I know the dr is going to say well you need to lose some weight. Really as I hadn't thought of that as I ended up winded just tying my shoes LOL However this time after switching and switching I think I finally hit the jackpot with drs. Now that's not to say that she didn't address my weight but she wasn't condescending about it either. I think what I liked the most though is how much time she spent with me; first I saw her med student who spent a good half hour with me. At first I thought she was merely trying to cover her ass, but really I think this woman is going to make a great dr some day. I was at the dr not only for my blood pressure, but I had also wanted to talk to her about anti depressants/anti anxiety meds as I've had a lot going on in my life as of late plus out of all the things I could have inherited from him I inherited my dad's panic attacks (thanks dad!) and this is not just oh shit type of stress; this is I took myself to the ER once because I thought I was having a heart attack stress. Anyway I digress; as I sat there and started to tell my story and it became real and verbalized I began to cry and of course was terribly embarrassed. However this intern looked at me and said this is not uncommon - you've had ALOT of stressors in your life lately. She didn't look at me like any minute I was going to slit my wrists like I once had another dr look at me.
Next came my dr who went over everything with the med student and told me to let her know if she'd missed anything. Then they took everything point by point and set up a plan for me - I finally had a health plan! When I mentioned that I had put on about 10lbs since I'd been there last she was like "eh we'll blame in on the holidays" now that's not to say she wasn't concerned but she knows that weight is an issue that everyone struggles with. We went over what my exercise regiment was and told me so long as I worked out 30 minutes, 5 days a week that was good. I was relieved; this is something I could do - hell it was one half hour sitcom! We went over some of my other ailments and what I was to do about those and then because my bloodpressure is not quite where she wants it (though it was better than last time) we went over possible causes. My biggest fear was that she was going to up the meds, which I didn't want because I'm already on a host of meds. However she told me she was going to keep me on the same dose and so long as I kept up my diet and exercise that we'd take it from there. She asked if there was any questions I had about anything and that was that. I left there more elated than I have in a very long time of going to the dr. Now I have a friend that went to the dr recently and didn't have quite the same experience but at the end of the day it was something that worked for her - at least for now. I guess my point here is that in order to succeed with your health not only do you have to take an active role in your own medical conditions ( I had a lot of my own info that she was impressed with) but find a dr that works for YOU because if you're not comfortable talking with your own dr then it makes the road to health/weightloss that much more difficult and we all know that that road is already filled with potholes and road closures that we have to try and avoid. Take your time to do some research and don't be afraid to ask questions - afterall they work for YOU; consider yourselves their boss and if they're not doing their job - fire them and find a new one!

No comments:

Post a Comment