Friday, April 15, 2011

It's The Little Things

Lately it seems like I've begun a journey of change; changing my health, the things I hold onto, and the things that I value. However I've come to realize that if I look at the big picture, I get discouraged; so I've decided to concentrate on the little things. For example, instead of concentrating on all the weight I have to lose I celebrate the fact that I'm feeling better, I can now walk 3/4 of a mile, and I have more energy.

I've been doing it with other things as well; I'm trying to clean out our house. This may not sound like a huge feet but after over 30 years in a home with 5 kids and 4 grandchildren, trust me when I say it's massive. Mostly because my mom loves to keep everything bless her heart. There are times I look at things and just think ok I'm never going to get this done and I get discouraged. So I've taken to cleaning out things one at a time; even if it's going through my own desk, etc and getting rid of things I don't need. I feel like if I've cleaned something, I've accomplished something.

They say slow and steady wins the race which is true, but I think one of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from my old boss John who once asked me "How do you eat an elephant?" I of course gave him a strange look, to which he answered "One bite at a time" I laughed realizing he was right. From then on everytime I was challenged with something he would ask me that same question, which would remind me to take it a piece at a time. So here I am to pass on that same advice; when something seems to big and you think you can't do it just ask yourself how to eat an elepant.

No comments:

Post a Comment