Monday, April 11, 2011

Trying

Today was one of those rollercoaster days; I had to take my mom to see her endocrinologist which most of the time is an all day process because she goes to the county hospital. I was shocked when we were in and out of there in an hour - this day was going awesome! That is until I realized that I was starving and yes I fell off of my horse and got KFC - why? Because my stomach was going to eat itself if I didn't get something and because after driving for two hours I was done. Basically I was hungry and weak and if you had put cheese on my arm I would have eaten it! Then it was time to pick up my son, get home, do homework, try and get some rest before he had scouts. Scouts was a mess that ended up running until 9pm which meant dinner was late and landed me where? You guessed it- at the drive thru.

I'm sitting here feeling the guilt - you know the one where you feel like OMG I've been doing so well and now I screwed up and what am I going to do? Well I'll tell you what I'm going to do. Tomorrow I'm going to get up, have a healthy breakfast and be conscience of what I'm eating. I'm going to go through the day and TRY my best to make the right choices and keep moving (I did walk today btw so I can feel less guilty about a french fry or two lol). I'm finally learning what my parents told me and what I tell my son when it comes to doing things. Try your best; you may not be perfect at it, but at least you're trying.

This goes for all aspects of life; for me it's trying to maintain a way of life and become a healthier person. For others it could be learning a new sport, trying their hand at cooking, or even learning a new language. Yeah we may all suck at first - let's face it after 32 years of living life as an unhealthy person, I'm not gonna be Jillian Michaels overnight. The point is I'm making the effort to do it. There are many things ppl struggle with things, but the point is not to give up.

I am a HUGE baseball fan that bleeds Cubbie blue (yes there is a point here); on July 9, 2005 I was watching the Cubs v. Marlins game when a rookie just up from triple A was called to the plate to pinch hit. Adam Greenberg was taking his first at bat in the major leagues. What happened a few minutes later could be compared to the shot heard around the world. He was hit in the back of the head with a 92mph fastball and went down like a ton of bricks. Needless to say it was a long road back from there; to this day that was his only appearance in a major league game - he's often compared to Moonlight Graham (who only made one appearance for the NY Giants in 1905). However if you look up Adam now you'll find he's still bouncing around the minor leagues; he's spent countless hours working with trainors, doctors (he has positional vertigo so sometimes something as little as tying his shoes can make his eyes not focus) and even sports psychologists. In an interview he talked about how that one day was NOT going to define his career or be his 15 minutes of fame. He is still determined to make it in the majors - he's TRYING.

So no matter how bad you suck right now - don't give up. You CAN do it so long as you're trying; I think Woody Allen said it best when he said "90% of life is just showing up".

No comments:

Post a Comment